Using Brotherhood Events as a Foundational Part of Your Chapter
By Brian Baudoin
As a social fraternity, we are expected to engage the campus in many unique and creative ways. Our chapters all across the country are hard at work filling their spring calendar with exciting social events that allow their schools to experience great times and great events.
At surface level, the idea of brotherhood events can be redundant to some. As a fraternity, establishing brotherhood and unity is central to who we are and what we do. Everything we do goes to establish this in some way. If we are already doing so much as a fraternity, then why is there a need for intentional events based on guys just hanging out?
This is where brotherhood events come in. Designated hangout times for only brothers put on with the intention of using fun activities and relaxation time to strengthen the unity of the chapter. These events are some of the easiest events that you will put on in the course of the semester. All you need is a simple activity and guys. After that, everything takes care of itself. These end up being some of the most memorable times in a brother’s BYX experience. Without having to worry about taking care of guests at a party or the lovely lady you brought to a date event, brothers can be more relaxed and simply just be guys around each other.
Remember, a brotherhood event can be a set night on your calendar that you plan out, or it can be a twist that you put on an existing event. An example would be games played at chapter meetings such a food eating competitions, the newlywed game (with bigs and littles), air guitar competitions and much more. These require no extra time from your semester calendar and can be a good break from the usual routine.
Here are some examples of brotherhood events that you can do as a chapter:
- Sports competitions: Simply pick a game like ultimate frisbee or volleyball and get everyone together for a game.
- Movie nights
- Grill night: Everybody brings their own meat and you grill out with everyone.
- Card Games: Poker, Blackjack, etc.
- Worship or Prayer nights
- Cigars and Guitars: Have a cigar night and a sing along with any brothers who can play that six string.
- Attending sporting events (painting up for these is a bonus.)
- Manly skills exhibitions: Pick skills that men should know and have brothers present humorous instructional presentations on how to properly execute these skills.
- Bro-lympics: Have cell groups or bigs and littles compete in a variety of competitions.
- Scavenger Hunts
- Road Trips